October 5, 2020
We had a Community Conversations call today at 10:00a.m. I’d like to provide a recap of what was covered during the call.
Thankfully, Friends House has had no structural or smoke damage from the wildfires. As of this writing the Glass fire is 30% contained.
A charter bus is scheduled to pick up those residents at the Residence Inn in Sacramento on Tuesday October 6th at 10:00a.m. The Friends House bus will also arrive at that time to transport anyone who may require a lift. Kerrilynn Soldavini, our Resident Services Director, is at the Residence Hotel in room 204. She’ll go to your room around 9:00a.m.tomorrow to assist with any large carry-ons you may have and provide further instructions on the boarding process. Please be sure to adhere to the infection control precautions, such as wearing a facial covering, physical distancing and good hand hygiene.
All Residents will need to quarantine for 14 days as part of COVID-19 prevention protocol immediately upon your return to Friends House.
We’ll provide meal delivery and shopping services, mail delivery and laundry services. We will not be providing Housekeeping Services or Hair Salon services while you are quarantined. Emergency maintenance services will be provided and private duty caregivers may resume, provided they are screened and adhere to infection prevention protocols.
Once you get settled, let us know how we can support you.
Emele Vere, Receptionist ext. 4500,
Mathew Petersen, Executive Assistant ext. 4513,
Kerrilynn Soldavini Resident Services Director, ext. 4525
Izzy Alvarez, Resident Services Coordinator, ext. 4521. (After October 12th)
Vicky Detlefsen, Dining Director, ext. 4531
Eric Perry, Facilities Director, ext. 4514
Clara Allen, Executive Director, ext. 4501
*The Kaiser Flu shot clinic is rescheduled for Tuesday November 3rd at 10:00a.m.
See you soon!
October 4, 2020
If the lifting of the Red Flag and Evacuation Warnings hold, the Friends House campus will be open for your return beginning Tuesday morning October 6th, 2020 at 9:00 am.
We know you’re eager to come home and we want your homecoming experience to be as positive as can be. By the time of your return we’ll be fully staffed. We’ll implement our meal delivery and our grocery shopping service. We’ll have CNA coverage 24/7 and can respond to emergencies. Maintenance staff will be available throughout the day and for after-hours emergencies, by calling the emergency maintenance number.
Residents will need to quarantine for 14 days as part of COVID-19 prevention protocol. Please notify a Department Manager, Emele, or Mathew when you return so we can account for you and support you however you may need.
The residents at The Residence Inn in Sacramento will be picked up this Tuesday October 6th 10:00 a.m. Please adhere to the infection control precautions, i.e. wearing a facial covering and physical distancing and follow the instructions from staff to board the bus in a safe manner.
It’s been a difficult week but I’m feeling grateful that Friends House was not damaged and all of the staff and residents are safe.
I’m looking forward to seeing you soon!
October 2nd 2020
We’re still under an evacuation warning and yesterday Sonoma County extended a Red Flag Warning for our area. A Red Flag Warning is issued for weather events which may result in extreme fire behavior that will occur within 24 hours. The glass fire is 5% contained. Your wellbeing is our utmost concern so it would be best if we maintained the evacuation at this time. We’ve been eagerly preparing for your homecoming and are disappointed about this turn of events. We’ll continue to monitor the fires and as soon as it’s safe to do so, we’ll open the campus.
Although we’re not together physically, we’re in community spiritually. As a community, we care about each other’s safety, health, happiness and wellbeing. The Quaker value of Gentle Bravery comes to mind. The world is calling upon us to be nimble and flexible. This year has brought unfathomable changes and challenges to all of our lives. I’m struck by the compassionate ways in which our community meets those challenges.
I’ll provide an update on Sunday 10.04.20 and at that time hope to have a date when we can safely come home.
October 1, 2020
We’re hoping to see you tomorrow but things could change if the evacuation warning is upgraded to a mandatory evacuation. The decision will be made early tomorrow morning in time to cancel the transportation arrangements for our residents at the Residence Inn in Sacramento.
To prepare for your return, all refrigerators have been thoroughly cleaned and any spoiled food has been disposed of with the exception of those few residents who requested that this not be done. The common areas have been deep cleaned and air purifiers have been placed throughout the buildings. Each apartment’s air filters and carbon monoxide batteries have been replaced. The community was professionally inspected and it was determined that there is no smoke damage. The air quality in the buildings is good.
Upon return, all residents will need to quarantine for 14 days as part of our infection prevention protocol. We’ve been very fortunate to not have any positive cases of Covid -19 among residents and staff and we need to stay ever vigilant. This is standard procedure in all Life Plan Communities as evacuees return home amid this Pandemic.
This will take a lot of logistical planning and coordination. Because residents may not enter the commons, staff will be providing meal delivery, shopping services, mail delivery and laundry services. We’re exploring the feasibility of testing for Covid-19 shortly after your return. This may potentially decrease the duration of quarantine for residents who test negative. We’ll track all resident’s arrival on campus. We’ve been informed that some residents are planning to arrive over the weekend and next week, providing, of course, the evacuation warning is not upgraded. It’s important, for everyone’s safety, that we’re informed of the date of your return. To notify us of the date of your return, please email me or Kerrilynn or call one of the staff to let them know.
Monday through Friday, please call Emele Vere, receptionist (707) 573-4500.
Saturdays, please contact Paula Wright, Director of Sales and Marketing (707) 537-5927.
Sundays, please contact Barri Johnson, Manager of the Day (707) 547-7435.
See you tomorrow! (Hopefully)
I hope that you’re managing well under these extreme circumstances. On 9/29/2020 the mandatory evacuation order was downgraded to an evacuation warning for our zone, Northeast 3/Middle Rincon.
We have received permission to create a reopening plan. Our tentative reopening is Friday, October 2nd at 10:00a.m.
Please know that this could change! A Red Flag warning has been issued by the National Weather Service for the Glass Fire and North Bay Mountains beginning Thursday October 1st at 1:00p.m. through Friday , October 2nd at 6:00p.m.
Here’s how we are preparing for your return:
The Director of Facilities walked the grounds and structures today and found thick coverings of ash throughout the community. Friends House will be assessed on 10/01/20 by a professional restoration company to identify any safety concerns and/or damage. The power was off for a significant amount of time so unfortunately, there’s food spoilage that will require disposal, deep cleaning of refrigerators and replenishment. In preparation for your return, the staff are deep cleaning all commons areas and Assisted Living. The walkways and outdoor furniture are being cleaned.
Upon return, we’re instituting a 14 day quarantine for all residents. Covid-19 is still a concern and our clinical team at Covia recommends that we follow the strictest guidelines to prevent an outbreak. Residents may still exercise outdoors and walk along the ring road. The Dining Dept. will provide free delivery service for meals and we will continue our shopping service. We’ll provide mail delivery as well. We plan to test all residents for Covid -19 soon after returning to the community.
Let’s hope for the best but be prepared in case the evacuation order is suddenly upgraded to mandatory again.
I know it’s extremely challenging to be uprooted and heartbreaking to be apart from friends. Many of you have called me or a department manager to let us know that you are safe and sound but eager to know when we can return. I’m glad to learn that you’re managing and doing well, under the circumstances. I’m grateful that Friends House is still standing and no lives were lost in this wildfire.
Although it may not feel like it, at the moment, we’re very lucky, we’re incredibly fortunate and profoundly blessed. Hopefully, I’ll be seeing you this Friday!